I believe that music is the best catalyst to teach emotional intelligence (EQ). Through the study of clarinet (with me of course) I help my students achieve personal insight and self-sufficiency in addition their musical studies.
I am a Bay Area native and former principal clarinet of Oakland Youth Orchestra, Young People’s Symphony Orchestra, and Eb and 1st section clarinet with Winds Across the Bay.
At seventeen, I had my first performance in Carnegie Hall and at twenty-one I was appointed to a position with the Chicago Sinfonietta. I have been fortunate enough to travel the world as an international orchestral clarinetist. I have performed concerts on three continents and have collaborated with musicians in the San Francisco Symphony, San Francisco Opera, Chicago Symphony Orchestra, New York Philharmonic, Metropolitan Opera Orchestra (New York, New York), Orpheus Chamber Orchestra (New York, New York), Tonhalle Orchester (Zürich, Switzerland), and Opernhaus Zürich Orchester (Zürich, Switzerland), Berlin Philharmonic (Germany) as well as with famous mezzo-soprano and friend, J’nai Bridges. I am currently a freelancer and 2nd clarinet with the Bear Valley Music Festival Symphony Orchestra under maestro Michael Morgen.
In addition to music performance, I am an active educator and have taught for over 12 years. I have worked with children and adults from all backgrounds. I am also very passionate about humanitarian policy and human rights; I have given lecture-recitals that both teach the joy of music and address social justice issues such as sustainability and the importance of music education. I am an activist and have worked as a proponent for LGBTQ health and legal rights in New York, Chicago, and San Francisco. Prior to teaching at Musically Minded Academy, I was in charged of rebooting a program called DREAAM (Determined to Respect and Encourage African American Men) at the San Francisco AIDS Foundation, the program is designed to reduced HIV infections amongst African-American men between the ages of 18-30. I also earned my certification with the San Francisco Department of Public Health as an STI/HIV test counselor and sex educator.
If you want to be killer at clarinet, study with me! I can teach in English and Deutsch.
- Zürcher Hochschule der Künste, post-graduate studies – orchestral performance
- Manhattan School of Music, Master of Music
- Northwestern University, Bachelor of Music
- Heinrich Matzener – Eb clarinet, Opernhaus Zürich Orchester
- Mark Nuccio – former principal New York Philharmonic, principal Houston Symphony
- Steven H. Cohen – former principal Louisiana Philharmonic – Northwestern University
- J. Laurie Bloom – bass clarinet, Chicago Symphony Orchestra
- Yehuda Gilad – University of Southern California
- Bear Valley Music Festival Symphony Orchestra
- Chicago Sinfonietta
- National Repertory Orchestra
- Westchester Chamber Orchestra
- Youth Orchestra of the Americas
- Zürcher Hochschule der Künste – Freundeskreis Stipendium (merit scholarship)
- Manhattan School of Music – merit scholarship
- Northwestern University Magazine – Senior-to-watch
- Northwestern University – Wade Fetzer Fellowship – Outstanding Woodwind Performance
- Northwestern University – full tuition merit scholarship