Nominations & Recruiting
Musically Minded Academy is expanding our Board of Directors and looking for dedicated individuals to join our non-profit organization. This is a wonderful opportunity to be on the ground floor and help build a Music School and Performance Center in the heart of Rockridge. It’s gives board members a great way to expand their networks, enhance their skills and gain valuable Board experience.
Musically Minded has grown over the last few years from a backyard one-instructor piano studio to its current status as a comprehensive music school employing seventeen instructors in a 6000-plus square foot facility at 5776 Broadway in Oakland. Since 2004, our operating budget has grown from $38,000 to its current $4000,000 and our programs have expanded to include not only a full range of musical instruments and voice, but a number of ensembles. We also provide performance space for an increasing number of artists and are rapidly becoming a full-fledged arts center for our area. In addition to our own activities, we rent our space to a number of other arts-oriented organizations.
Our success has brought us to the threshold of a new phase of development, and we want to enhance the strategic capacity of our board in order to help us realize the potential of this extraordinary organization. The Board recognizes the value of a wide range of perspectives among its membership and is seeking the nominations of candidates who will enhance its diversity of talents, and skills. To see our current Board, please visit our Board of Directors page.
MMA Board Member Duties
Board members are volunteers who serve a three-year term. The Board provides oversight and policy direction for MUSICALLY MINDED ACADEMY’S director and staff.
Board member duties include:
- Attend and actively participate in four annual Board meetings: February, May, August and November.
- Devote sufficient time to fully engage with MMA, including serving on one or more of the following committees:
- Community partnerships (Forming and maintaining partnerships and collaborations with fellow community art and education organizations)
- Finance (Financial planning, Audits, Budgeting)
- Business Consulting (Growth planning, Administration Development, Streamlining back end systems)
- Play an active role in fundraising, either through personal donations or by working on the Fundraising Committee.
- Regularly attend and/or promote MMA functions such as concerts, recitals, and fundraisers.
Desired Candidate Qualifications
Because MMA programs span many sectors of artistic endeavor, the Board is seeking nominations of individuals with a wide variety of backgrounds and areas of expertise. Candidates for consideration to the MMA board may include, but are not limited to:
- Individuals of note from the music instruction, performance, or promotion industries
- Individuals with business or philanthropic ties to arts and arts-funding organizations
- Individuals from the foundation community
To nominate individuals for consideration, please contact us.
If possible, please include a resume or biography of the individual and briefly describe the reasons for recommending him or her. We appreciate your assistance in identifying one or more outstanding individuals suitable for election to the Board of Directors.